Friday, January 6, 2012

Tomato Relish

My task for today is to make tomato relish.  I grow up on this and so did my husband but it is very hard to find a good one in America.  You can add it to any meal for extra flavor or we love it in toasted sandwiches with ham and cheese - a great Friday night meal.  Another reason I am making it today as I want to make a Bacon and Egg Pie this weekend for lunch.  I made them all the time in NZ, great for leaving in the fridge as a snack after school etc.  I haven't made one here yet but going to give it a go this weekend.  I will post the recipe - I'm going to make it first with store puff pastry but will work on making my own down the road.  By the way my house smells incredible!!!


Tomato Relish

2 cans of diced tomatoes (I got mine on sale for 30 cents each!!) you can use fresh tomatoes from garden too
1 onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon of brown sugar
1 Tablespoon of hot pepper sauce
2 Tablespoons of Worcester Sauce
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 T Lemon juice

Add everything apart from lemon juice to a stock pot and bring to the boil.  Reduce heat to medium heat and simmer for 15-20 mins.  Remove and stir in lemon juice.  Cool and refrigerate.  (Can be put in mason jar with lid).  Post update:  My husband's comments to me - this is so good you should be selling it.  Maybe I shouldn't of posted the recipe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment